The former Kitty Hawk hub is now used by several aviation and non-aviation companies including Logistics Insight, Fed Ex Express, and Spinach Ball.
The airport was built at a cost of million as a U. Army Air Forces base during World War II, opening in 1941 under the name Baer Field and later Baer Army Air Field.
American Airlines added service to the airport in 1974, initially to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (which also opened that year) on the Boeing 727.
In addition to Delta, United, and later American, locally based Hub Airlines and other regional airlines flew to the airport in the 1960s and 1970s.
The oldest original Baer Army Air Field hangar, Hangar No. C&S merged with Delta Air Lines in 1953 and Delta is the airport's longest-serving carrier, having served the airport in one form or another ever since.
American also changed their Fort Wayne flights from Dallas to Chicago O'Hare, while Air Wisconsin took over United's Chicago route in partnership with United and later as United Express.
Other improvements included runway upgrades and the Air Trade Center on the southwest side of the property.
In 1998, Fort Wayne International Airport started advertising the airport to the general public for the first time.
Air Wisconsin also had a maintenance base on the west side of the airport in the 1980s and 1990s that handled BAe 146, BAe ATP, and later Canadair Regional Jet aircraft.
After Air Wisconsin closed the maintenance base, Shuttle America briefly used the hangar before the loss of the US Airways Express Pittsburgh flying; the former Air Wisconsin hangar was later used by Endeavor Air before being used by Sky West today.
Through the 1990s the airport underwent the largest expansion and revitalization in its history.