The minutes of the June 26, 1977 meeting (the 75th reunion of the Becker Family) held at Nashville Park on Rt. “[It] was a beautiful day but no one showed up for dinner, but myself [Elsie Shupe] and granddaughter, Angie Croft. Shortly after, Wilbur and Bessie Royer showed up, then Louis and his mother Ethel Knife came, then Ray Becker and Florence Becker. and his wife died at age 39 and only two sons were still alive in 1882, i.e., Lewis and Henry V., Jr. was born in Germany in 1816 and trained as a cabinetmaker. Shortly thereafter, he traveled to Fredericks-town, MD, then Vienna Crossroads, Clark Co., Ohio and then to Dayton. undoubtedly came west over the newly built National Road! The first at the head-waters was on the Jesse Kinsey farm on the NW corner of the old National Road. He also mentions that the foundation of Hamilton Turner's whiskey distillery stood across from the grist mill.We decided since no one was interested in coming anymore, we would dispense with the reunions.” Elsie Shupe, Sec., Treas. .the old Anthony Wayne Trail, which is now Route 49. A large sawmill, operated by Emanuel Hubley, was on the west hill along Diamond Mill Road.Many members may remember Kathleen Aiken, daughter of Montifer and Maud Free.For many years, Mont Free had a mail route from Dayton and operated the Honey House on S. Maud Free was a teacher at Happy Corner Church for a while.She wrote for local papers, and the RTHS has a copy of one of her articles, "Resident takes walk down memory lane," printed in the on Jan. In it, she recalled that Englewood was about 300 people when she was born. Main Street, where she and her husband later lived, and she wrote that it was time to leave for school when the traction car "whizzed past our house." She and her friends walked to the three-room school in what is now the Earl Heck Center."Once a mother brought out her first-grade daughter and asked if she could walk with us as she feared the dogs, Aiken wrote.The boundaries of the old township are the Stillwater River on the east, Westbrook Road on the south, and Diamond Mill Road on the west, and County line Road on the north.
Both were millers and John III also served as a township trustee for a number of years. Her husband, John III, died a year later at about the age of 66. The sign in front of the hotel building shows up in many of Edwin Sink’s photos of Englewood ca. How many of you have been to a family reunion in recent times or ever?While growing up, young Henry and probably some of his brothers and sisters attended a nearby subscription school. A century ago, such gatherings were commonplace – now they are vanishing as family members scatter across the country and world.This most probably was a log school run by Quakers at West Branch. It is easier and less costly now to keep in touch with email, Facebook, and other types of social media.Initially, the Becker family reunions were held at farms of various relatives living in and around Union, Centre (Phillipsburg), Gordon, Milton (West Milton), Troy, and Piqua. The Montgomery County Atlas of 1895 shows Henry Berk (the son) owning 160 acres (NE Qtr of Sec. Margaret Berk Hough’s father was Harry Berk who married Martha Black. Betz' father was a wagon maker, tobacco box maker, furniture maker and casket maker.By 1931, some of the reunions were being held at community groves and parks instead of homes. 28) and Louis owning about 100 acres (NW Qtr of Sec. Louis’ father was the youngest son, Earl Berk, and he married Ethel Black, sister of Martha. More details on these families can be found in the society’s genealogy archives. His sons helped him in these pursuits until his untimely death on June 12, 1901.Settlers first to arrive were Quakers from Randolph County, North Carolina led by Daniel Hoover and David Mast and Mennonites and Brethren from Pennsylvania led by the Warner, Rasor, Herr and Brumbaugh families.